Gas transportation is subject to the European International Road Transport of Dangerous Goods Agreement (ADR). Its last update was published in the International Contract Collection No. 6/2009; it should be adhered to starting from 1 July 2009.
The risk level of dangerous good transport might be significantly reduced by correct manipulation with dangerous products, knowledge of their properties, and, mainly, by meeting the conditions and vehicle equipment in accordance with ADR. It should be noted that also by the transport of a minimal gas amount, i.e. of one single pressure gas cylinder or an empty cylinder that formerly contained gas, you are subject to the legislation obligation (Law No. 111/1994 Coll.) which assigns you the following duties:
In any case, transportation unit that is loaded by dangerous goods must not have more than one trailer or semitrailer.
- Should the goods exceptionally be transported in closed vehicles or closed containers, these vehicles or containers should be marked with the notice that the cargo hold is not ventilated. If you decided to use this method of transportation, but you do not have your own label with inscription in the prescribed form, you can buy it in our sales places.
- Each transportation unit should be equipped with at least one mobile fire extinguisher for the A, B, and C flammability class that contains minimally 2 kilograms of dry powder extinguisher (or a corresponding amount of other suitable extinguishing material) that is suitable for motor fire or vehicle cabin fire extinguishing. Also in this case, you have the possibility to purchase the prescribed fire extinguisher in our sales places.
- The vehicle driver should be trained about regulations which relate to the dangerous goods transportation; the training range and form depend on the amount of the transported dangerous material. The driver is obliged to submit the certificate about such training by the roadside check.
- The driver should receive the delivery note (= transportation document in accordance with ADR) that contains all data prescribed by ADR.
- The delivery note which you received in our sales place only serves as the transportation document for the transportation between the Linde Gas sales place and the receiver’s address (your company location). Should you intend to transport the goods to any place that differs from the place that is specified in the transportation document that we issued for you, it is in your responsibility to issue such document and give it over to the driver.
The bigger dangerous goods amount you transport, the stricter are the requirements for the vehicle and vehicle crew equipment.
After the ADR agreement update, a very important change took place: the driver should get the written guidelines related to the emergency situation which might arise during the transportation from the SHIPPING COMPANY, not from the dangerous goods sender as was usual in the past. Please be aware of the fact that the written guidelines that you have received from Linde Gas in the past are no more applicable!
More detailed information about these requirements is beyond the range of this short information. We advise you to take part in the training that is prescribed by the law.
Due to that, Linde Gas a.s. advises you to order the transport of purchased gases from our company so that to avoid the problems related to the ADR requirements and the possible fine for their non-compliance.
Should you have any other questions related to the gas transportation, you can contact our safety adviser.